Thursday, May 24, 2007

All Wet

I made my self-righteous bed and now I must lay in it. Well- bike in it.

This morning, I stepped out my door into still another day of pouring rain. To my left: a car, offering protection from the precip. To my right: my bicycle, representing the idealistic lifestyle of a bicycle commuter.

As I pondered my options, I reflected on recent history. It has rained steadily for a number of days, and still I have continued to use my bike as transportation. When will I "wise up" and remember that every day I have been underdressed and wound up soaking wet as I bike to and fro. Would today be the day to cave and rely on my manual transmission? I was feeling pretty ill (I had eaten red meat--among other things--the night previous) and the idea of driving sounded immensly appealing.

But I refused-- many people live without cars. right? I could do this.

Well, those people also have raincoats, ponchos, waterproof bags, and other such protective gear. Two blocks into my ride I almost turned around, but I persevered instead. I arrived at work soaking wet, but accomplished (though admittedly feeling a bit foolish). What did I learn? Nothing. There was no moral (after all, not everything has meaning- the mundane often overpopulates the meaningful); I don't feel better about myself on some self-righteous kick for biking in spite of the weather, nor do I feel I should have been practical and saved myself the trouble of drying my pants in front of a fan at work (don't worry- I had extra shorts in my bag).

And there you have it- my totally pointless story for the day.

No comments: