Tuesday, September 18, 2007

What a Sight! An Urbanite by Night, Seeing the Light

I just got in on my bike. I'm glad to have it back after it's stint in broken-bicycle village last week. Riding through the city at night is thrilling; with little to no traffic to inhibit the flow of my ride, it emanates emptiness (in the philosophical sense). The hollow city blocks and darkened buildings construct a ghost town on a grander scale. Only the night crawlers remain.

Through this I pedal, with swiftness and silence.

Pedal, pedal, pedal.. I keep moving forward. I'm learning so much outside the classroom these days, I'd say my course load is bigger than ever. What a kick, learning the life lessons I missed through much of college at the very last minute. I guess I've always been a procrastinator. After years of pedaling on a stationary bike, exasperating myself while getting nowhere, I'm freeing myself of the self-inflicted training wheels that have long kept me from really balancing on my own. Oh, tired metaphor! I'm working to rise above my limitations, which results in a great deal of temporary floundering below. But in this I'm finally extending my consciousness, understanding why I do the things I do. Realizing my neuroses is hard work and actualizing positives proactively is even tougher, but every pedal gets me a little closer to home.

I had much more to say, but sleepiness is having it's way. The moral: I'm in good spirits after a therapeutic cycle, and optimistic about the direction I'm headed (metaphorically speaking, although my bicycle is usually headed in a fine direction as well). Ask me again tomorrow and I may have a different tale to tell, but this is where I'm at right now and, well... I'm just glad to be here.

No comments: