Monday, April 02, 2007

Michigan-minded

I got back late last night from my roadtrip-

I had an incredible time. I met some of my favorite musicians (Liz Janes and I had a lengthy conversation in which she declared me her new artistic inspiration and took a picture of me to use when she needed to be reminded of why she makes music!), saw still other favorites perform (Sufjan Stevens, Neko Case, Anathallo, Emmylou Harris, Son Lux, etc), hit the sand dune beaches of Michigan in 70degree (or, perfect) weather, became intimately familiar with the infrastructure of Grand Rapids and Holland, fled Michigan in the middle of the night to arrive in Chicago at 3am and crash in the nearest hotel room, spent a day in the Windy City hopping the L, and got to spend a lot of time (much of which was in my friend's hybrid) with some of my favorite folks around. I honestly can't remember the last time such fun was had.

Roadtrips are a college necessity. Go take one. A mental break, a literal/physical escape.

Now I'm swamped with school work and work work, but I would do it all over again in less time than it takes to drive to West Michigan.

No comments: