Thursday, February 08, 2007

To live with a hardened heart, or let it break anew daily--

I'm at work, and less than an hour ago a homeless man walked in off the street, as sometimes happens in the neighborhood in which my work is located. The man was visibly drunk. He "wanted to warm his shoes," and so he entered and took a seat in our lobby. My boss and the man exchanged words. "This is a music school, not a social service agency." There are kids here waiting for lessons. The man hadn't showered for days, weeks, months. He smelled of cold and liquor, a wanderer seeking refuge but what could I do? He wanted some money, we gave it, and he was on his way. It is so cold outside, so terribly bitter and unforgiving. But what could I do?

This is why I can't do social work. It was my major, but I dropped it. I just don't think I'm resilient enough.

No comments: