Friday, September 22, 2006

Studying on a Friday night?

It's a Friday night and here I am, studying. What's going on here? Looks like the fantasy of work hard all week, relax on the weekends isn't entirely realistic for some college students. I'm not trapped here all night, though - if I keep working for a little bit longer, I can save the rest for Sunday and I should be okay. To be fair, this isn't my normal Friday night activity anyway: I'm going to Chicago on Monday, so I need to make sure I'm all caught up before I take off.

In more exciting news than a Friday evening spent in front of a computer screen, the first issue of The Echo for the new school year came out today! It was my first issue editing, and I was very pleased with how my section (and the issue as a whole) turned out. I've already written my column for the next issue (on Lupe Fiasco's excellent new album, "Food & Liquor"). I'm currently way over the word limit because I was so excited about the music and its implications in light of Lupe's strong Islamic faith and explicitly stated feminist perspective (sounds like a paper for one of my classes!). So I need to streamline it a bit, format it more as a review and less as a paper, ha.

Also, I had my first radio show of the school year yesterday. Last year, I co-hosted a show, so it was my first time flying solo. I dealt with my fair share of technical difficulties, but I'm pumped for the rest of the year and the exciting things I can do with my one hour of air time.

Another first yesterday was the year's first Lilly Scholar seminar. The Lilly Scholar seminar is a course that meets once a month. It is a very small group of students, and we meet for several hours with a Religion professor and discuss issues of vocation and Christian faith. We had a very engaging conversation that kept me thinking after we had all gone our separate ways. I'm very glad I have the opportunity to participate in this year-long conversation on issues that really interest me.

Alright... I should get back to work so I can have that Friday night!

No comments: