Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Hi. I'm Chris, and I'm in College.

I'm Chris. Nice to meet you.

Let's kick this off in style, eh? I'm not sure how to introduce myself properly in this format, so I think a good place to start is at the surface - what do I do in my daily life, etc. The rest can come later.

My name is Chris and I'm in my second year at Augsburg College. I am majoring in Religion with minors in English and Social Welfare. I live on campus and am in love with my neighborhoods, Seward and Cedar-Riverside.

I'll graduate in a couple semesters, so I'm trying to make the most of the little time I have left by trying to get involved in as much extra-curricular stuff as possible. The first thing that comes to mind is an activity that I am very passionate about. This is my second year serving on the Leadership Team for a volunteer organization based out of Augsburg called The Campus Kitchen Project. I lead a shift once a week to the Brian Coyle Community Center where I enjoy food and fellowship with the folks that hang out there. I get to work with kids a lot there, so it's never boring. It's occasionally stressful, often challenging, but as anyone who has done anything with non-profits knows, it is so incredibly rewarding (cliche, but totally true).

I also stay involved in other ways that keep me sane while simultaneously feeding my insanity. I'm the editor of the Arts & Entertainment section of the student-produced paper, The Echo, where I also write a weekly music column. Writing is one of my favorite things to do, so the position really is a dream job for me. My love of music also translates over to a weekly radio show I host called "Assorted Audio" on KAUG, the campus radio station. I also serve on church council at Bethany Lutheran Church in Seward, where I occasionally Assistant Minister.

College doesn't pay for itself, so I also have several on campus jobs. I'm a student supervisor of student workers in Undergraduate Admissions, I make copies and such for the History Department, and I'm a note taker for the CLASS (Center for Learning and Adaptive Student Services) program. This past summer I worked for Residence Life, the Summer Theological Institute camp, and Medieval Minnesota camp, all at Augsburg. I can honestly say that my jobs are fun, which doesn't hurt. I could also say I'm trying to develop a strong work ethic (because who doesn't want that? ha), but that might be a bit too much positive spin.

Looking back on that, it looks a little intimidating, but I like to stay busy. Throw classes into the mix and my days are pretty full, but I always have time to hang out with friends in the evenings. Social life is a big part of college (and, well, life in general), so it's a huge priority.

Alright, I've gone on long enough. More to come later.

No comments: