Monday, August 06, 2007

On 'nother note entirely...

Random thoughts...

The jaded cynic in me appeals to this quote by a bitter and brilliant author, Flannery O'Connor: "To expect too much is to have a sentimental view of life and this is a softness that ends in bitterness." While I once felt that this was a reality to which I must submit as one submits to "the will of God," I now know that I must resist this inclination born in world-weariness. My innocence, the side of me that marvels at all that has been, all that is present, and all that is to come (that is, my true self), knows this quote by Kosho Uchiyama to be a fuller truth: "Everything I encounter is my life." As simple as that may sound, I won't claim to understand the concept and what it means for my life, though it encompasses everything. I, like those I encounter, am just learning as I go. As I've said before, I don't have delusions of grandeur--I'm just a dude. Now; was that pretentious enough?

And no, I'm not turning Buddhist on y'all. Though, never say never, eh?

No comments: